[scribus] Dumb newbie question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Mar 30 06:57:08 CEST 2009

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:16:09 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > I'm not really a newbie, I just haven't used Scribus much.
> >
> > I followed the instructions in the online Help for how to get a formula
> > from OOo to Scribus. It worked except that when I exported the formula
> > from draw as an EPS I got the entire page, not just the graphic
> > element. When I insert the EPS into Scribus I have to make the image
> > frame the size of the whole page in order to see the image, which is
> > just a few centimeters in the center of the page.
> >
> What you should be trying to do is to import directly as EPS. File >
> Import > Import EPS/PS
> If this is successful it will be scalable.
>
> Plan B might be to try 1.3.5svn, where you can use a TeX frame and make
> your formula there directly in Scribus.

That is extremely interesting. My formulas are simple, but doing them
in OOo is problematic due to bugs. (The font bugs that cause many
characters not to appear if bold or italic are selected.)

However, I know zero about TeX, and I don't have a couple months of my
life to spend learning it. Would it be possible just to learn how to do
the formulas I need. I'm guessing that it wouldn't take too long to
learn the syntax I'd need.