[scribus] Dumb newbie question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Mar 30 19:43:55 CEST 2009

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:40:04 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > That is extremely interesting. My formulas are simple, but doing them
> > in OOo is problematic due to bugs. (The font bugs that cause many
> > characters not to appear if bold or italic are selected.)
> >
> > However, I know zero about TeX, and I don't have a couple months of my
> > life to spend learning it. Would it be possible just to learn how to do
> > the formulas I need. I'm guessing that it wouldn't take too long to
> > learn the syntax I'd need.
> >

> There should be some easy to find resources re: LaTeX commands.
> ftp://ftp.ams.org/pub/tex/doc/amsmath/short-math-guide.pdf
> for example.

I looked at the PDF, but it doesn't have enough examples.

My reluctance to take the time to learn it is because I only ever need
one type of formula. It's a lot of work to learn the whole Latex thing
just to do one kind of formula. This is all I need:

[ sometext   ]
[ moretext   ]
[ moreagain ]

Where the brackets are stretched to enclose the text items. And
sometimes I might need to nest two or more such brackets inside braces.
I never ever need real math formulas because I am not writing math
stuff, so all the options are a waste of time to learn. If I knew I was
going to live to 200 years old it might be fun to take the time to
learn it. :)

It only took me a couple hours to figure out how to do it in OOo. I was
hoping the Scribus TEX thing would be as simple, but it requires too
much learning of stuff I don't need. It's overkill for me.