[scribus] Vertical alignment in a text box.

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Mon Mar 30 14:27:32 CEST 2009

Roger wrote:
> <snip>
> Is there a  vertical alignment feature in Scribus version 1.3.3.13 for
> text frames?
>  > Text is normally aligned to the top of the text frame but it would
> nice to
>  > be able to center text vertically or align text to the bottom of the
> frame
>  > by clicking a button or selecting from dropdown. So is there anything
> like
>  > that and I can't see it?
> </snip>
>
> I'm coming in late here but on reflection I can't see any reason for
> vertical displacement within a text frame.
> Text frames can be placed accurately via F2 - Text  dialog or using
> Arrow and Shit-ft Arrow or can be snapped to grid lines.
>
> One problem Scribus has is that with a one line or one word or one
> letter of text in a text box, the default vertical spacing is 15 points.
> This can be set to 1 pt in F2 - text  but does not allow you to set the
> bottom of the text box to the bottom of the text or the text it'self
> disappears.
>
> A text box is merely a container which can be invisible if needed.
> Positioning text is important not the text box. For instance, you can
> have really huge text boxes containing one letter and still position
> text characters very accurately.
>
> My suggestion would be to place the text that you need to vertically
> align in a separate text box and align that as needed.
> A DTP system, as different from a word processor, Scribus encourages the
> use of text boxes to separate small portions of text according to the
> page design needs and in doing so provides unlimited choice in text box
> / text placement. Arrow keys  and Shift-Arrow keys are your friends.
> Please excuse me if Ive got your requirement wrong

I think you have.

It's true that S allows you to place a text frame anywhere, and if that
is in an invisible text frame, that gives the effect of placing text
anywhere.  So far, so good.

I too have found it irritating though, that you can't centre text
vertically within a visible text frame. I don't see this as a 'word
processor' feature, and should Scribus ever have good ways to do tables,
I imagine that many people will want vertical centring in 'table cell
frames' too.

I don't see how or where "Scribus encourages the use of text boxes to
separate small portions of text according to the page design needs",
unless you mean it encourages it by not making simpler alternatives
available ?

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor