[scribus] When is a new release for Windows coming out?

Phil Ward skeggy78 at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 4 22:10:03 CET 2009

Hi JDS & list

sorry i am english, but have had some bad news on a personal level,
so my mind is a little world of its own at the moment, and im trying
to be positive and laid back as possible..

but i shall try to address the points that you brought up etc.

I use coreldraw, as its what i know very well, i have used it for
many years, and know where i need to click to get things done and
dusted, yes i am looking at inkscape, combined with uniconverter, as
i have a large amount of coreldraw files/catalogue, but as of yet,
have come unstuck when trying to import CDR files into inkscape etc.
I also have tried to accomplish this on the mac, ie using
uniconverter, but the last build was i think 2 releases prior, and
the team at SK1 dont have an applemac to build or test with etc, and
my knowledge on mac programming is non existent.
I also use coreldraw, as my clients, and other design companies, who
pay me, and in return as i mentioned, allow me to put food on my
plate, i do apologise, i thought it was an old phrase, but i do
forget that this mailing list is worldwide..

I try to keep upto date with the development of the main design
programs that are currently about in the opensource world, ie gimp,
scribus, inkscape, but again learning to compile the most current
versions of the software is somewhat perplexing, ie like the
formentioned uniconverter. The most current release in the synaptic
download manager (ubuntu 8.10) is 1.1.2(python-uniconverter), where
as the current version in their SVN is 1.1.3, and i tried to open a
simple multipage document with 1.1.2 in inkscape, created from
coreldraw X3, and it failed, but there is a large instruction from
someone else on the web, that i will try later and hope to compile/
install the current version of uniconverter etc.

i fully understand that each and every windows program has a
competitor that equal or in some cases supersedes its rival, but not
only do i have to incorporate it into my workflow, but try to
persuade others that have no experience in the opensource world. Also
im trying to make a workflow with opensoure programs, when i said
even keel, i ment the same version through out all my different
Operating systems, wether it be Linux, OSX, or windows. There was a
comment on a Gimp list about revisions in the debian database, but
its a couple of steps back, i know the files should be compatilble,
but i want to make sure with what ever system i use, whether i put a
USB stick in, or recieve an email, that i can open it, and know that
it will be indentical on any other of my systems..

I have been signed up to these lists now for sometime, and i cant
believe the flow of information that exists here, let alone on fourms
etc..

I want to understand scribus, and use it to its full potential, hence
me being signed up for this list, and id rather learn it rather than
quark or indesign, but the problem is, that two major jobs that i
have bypassed as a result of not using/understanding them, as they in
this particular design house (some use adobe, others use corel, hey
whats the difference?). I know the fundamental parts of the interface
are there, but its the little things that are the time consuming in
finding, and time is money, and quite often i have deadlines that are
very

Trust me, i have the opensource bug, and everyone that i speak to
that uses computers i do suggest that they try a live CD of Kubuntu
(mainly because of the start menu in the same place as windows), and
see how they get on, and the fact that i say its all FREE is a big
selling point to they..

i hope i make sence a little more this time, and yes i fully
understand the unlearn what you have learnd

phil