[scribus] When is a new release for Windows coming out?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Mar 6 04:48:45 CET 2009

John Culleton wrote:
> There is no full Linux equivalent to Adobe Distiller. LSI, a
> very important printer in the USA requires that cover art
> be in an obsolete pdf standard called (I think) X/1:2001.
> If it is not LSI does bad things to your cover art like
> rasterizing it twice.   Distiller will do the conversion
> (or perversion if you prefer.) Nothing in the free software
> world will.  It has to say 2001 in the pdf file. Pdf 1.3 is
> equivalent but that does not matter to LSI.

Let me just chime in here, since we've just gone through this with the
manual. This is simply an uneducated attitude on LSI's part. They seem
to have limited knowledge and/or interest in figuring out issues with
PDFs, and for all we know this is a party line they get from Adobe. They
complained that our book was not X/1:2001, but this turned out not to be
the issue at all. Thanks to Louis Desjardins, we were able to figure out
where problems were and fix them, and it had nothing to do with the PDF
version, so no conversion was necessary.

In the end, Scribus was more than adequate for the layout of our
440-page book, with the only caveat being what we have said for some
time that it can't handle 440 pages all at once.

Greg