[scribus] When is a new release for Windows coming out?

jwminer at accessvt.com jwminer at accessvt.com
Wed Mar 4 22:05:25 CET 2009

Phil wrote:
> i have successfully installed corel 11 inside of linux, and as i
> also
> use a mac, its quite usefull, as its also the last revision to come
> out for apples.

Please explain how you "installed corel 11 inside of linux." No
Windows software can be installed inside Linux without the help of
either a compatiblity layer like Wine or Crossover or a virtual
machine, like VirtualBox or VMware. I assume you used one of those
options--does Corel 11 run under Wine? I thought not, but I really
don't know.

> With vista hot on the heels of all new computers, and software, i am
> not looking forward to using it, as i find its annoyances, a little
> to annoying, espically with older hardware and printers, as i dont
> see why i should go buy a new printer/scanner when my old ones work
> perfectly well etc. Hence my slow transition to linux.

Vista is okay if it's happy with your hardware. Older hardware is
not suitable for Vista. Lots of older printers and scanners are
supported, more now than when Vista came out. Nearly all my old
software runs fine under Vista, and that includes programs going
back to Win 3.1.

But if you're headed toward Linux, I encourage you to go that way. I
use Linux way more than Vista or XP, which are on my three dual-boot
computers.

It's not true that there is Linux software to replace everything you
used under Windows, alas. Decidedly not true! It all depends on what
Windows software you used. For common uses (browsing, e-mail,
playing media, organizing photos, word processing, spreadsheets,
presentation programs), there are equivalents.
But Gimp is not Photoshop and while it's a very good photo editor,
there are many things Photoshop does that Gimp does not. Inkscape is
coming along very nicely but Corel and Illustrator are ahead of it
for most things. Scribus is a very capable DTP program but not yet
at the level of InDesign. And if you use consumer graphics programs
(I have 15 greeting card programs that I use regularly), there are
no Linux equivalents and probably never will be because many of the
graphics are licensed from greeting card companies. Yes, you can
create a card under Linux, but not the way you would in a card
program.

So it depends on what you need. By the way, there is no necessity AT
ALL to wipe out Windows on your computer. You can dual boot quite
nicely and this is a good solution if you don't need to use Windows
often. If you need more frequent access to Windows, a virtual
machine with Windows installed is the better solution because you're
using "real" Windows, not an emulator, so things work, and it's much
easier to simply switch to whatever is running in the virtual
machine than to reboot.
--Judy Miner
  USA

Registered Linux User #397786