[scribus] text overflow

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Jan 21 14:51:48 CET 2009

Vanessa Callebaut wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having the same problem: when I create a certain Style and apply this
> in a text on my pc at home, there is no problem, but when my students do the
> same thing on their computers in my classroom, some of them are having
> problems, not all, only some pc's. I even exported these files and rechecked
> them at home and again here I don't have any problems with the Styles.  So I
> am thinking there is something wrong with the font itself on those computers
> (I did not install the software myself, this is done by our IT department).
> Where can I check this out? Can you "reinstal" a certain font in order to
> "repair" it? (Scribus 1.3.3.11, Windows XP and Vista) For me this is a big
> problem, as my students need to execute certain excersises in order to learn
> the program but me I am never certain that the things that I design will
> "work" at school.

It does sound like there is a difference in the kinds of fonts on the
computers compared with yours. You probably need to do a survey of the
available fonts on each computer to make sure they all have what they
need. You can find the information in File > Preferences > Fonts. There
is also the FontSample script, that can create a document using
available fonts.

Another way to check this would be to do File > Collect for Output from
your home computer, including the necessary font data, then take that to
school and see what happens. If it's a font availability problem, this
should work on every computer.

Greg