[scribus] hi and cmyk tiff export

minombresbond minombresbond at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 23:58:48 CET 2009

hi

I'm graphic designer from argentina, and user of free software, my name
is Juan Suárez

many times I need design simple vectorial works (like a logo) when
acurate control of cmyk values, for example, a figure with radial
gradient from 100/60/0/0 to 100/60/0/40, I can draw it in Scribus and
export to pdf to printing ok, or export to RGB bitmap or as rgb svg to
work in inkscape etc,

but how can I make a cmyk bitmap image from cmyk vectorial art
from scribus? like a 'exporting to cmyk tiff' feature? if I export to
RGB bitmap, and convert to cmyk space (with imagemagick or gimp separate
pluggin, with icc profile), the result is that CMYK-to-RGB-to-CMYK ever
change the original values, specially the cmyk colors with zero
value in any C M or Y, and high K: in this case

CMYK:100/60/0/40 to  RGB:10/40/97  to CMYK:100/76/29/16
    V                                     V
    V                                     V
CMYK:100/60/0/0  to  RGB:33/66/148 to CMYK:99/60/4/0

its really differents gradients and colors!

the solution: implementing a *export to cmyk bitmap* feature! :)

Scribus is the only mature vectorial software where a designer can draw
any vectorial art whit colors and gradients in CMYK values (and
thinking in the offset machine!), and if is there any problem with the
pdf format in the filming provider, as far as I was, no other method to
export the artwork! I think that is an important issue

my actual solution: export to cmyk pdf and use ghostscript to generate
a cmyk separation to tiff device:

gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=tiffsep -dDOINTERPOLATE -dTextAlphaBits=4
-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -sOutputFile=output.tif -r120 -MaxSeparations=8
example.pdf

(seen on this page: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Colors I have no idea
about ghostcript!)

this gs command generate output.tif and four c,M,Y,K grayscale outputs
tifs, work fine with

and I can re-import the cmyk tif to scribus artwork

this excentric export to cmyk tiff is very usefull to my, thanks!

saludos! sorry my bad english