[scribus] OT - Fontmatrix

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Dec 27 20:18:53 CET 2009

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 21:58:26 +0300
Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> dijo:

>On 12/27/09, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>>>Also, I don't think that it makes much sense to subscribe to the FM
>>>mailing list, as it's almost dead until the FM developer has
>>>recovered. In the meantime, it's better to use the Scribus channels,
>>>i.e. the ML and IRC.
>>
>> Thanks for the information.
>>
>> I was just trying to figure out how to change the size of the
>> character images in the Compare window. Even if I run FM full screen
>> the images are so huge that I can compare only two fonts at a time.
>
>Of course you can. As
>http://libregraphicsworld.org/articles.php?article_id=6 clearly
>states, "metrics offset is limited, so one cannot place over __five__
>glyphs in a row". Simply use mouse wheel to zoom in or out, just like
>in Playground tab.
>
>I'm not quite happy about the way it is implemented myself, but it
>does work.

OK, I had already discovered that the mouse wheel changed the size of
the images, but it seems to have only two settings, "too big" and "way
too big." At the smaller of the two the glyphs are about 10 cm high.

I need fonts that contain all the glyphs necessary for linguistics
work. I was trying to use the Compare feature to determine which of the
~120 glyphs that I need were missing from certain fonts. I don't need
huge images if all I need to see is if the glyph is there or not. I can
see now that the intended use of the Compare feature is to see fine
details of the design of the glyphs.

I think I'll just use Scribus. I'll write a document with the glyphs
one per line, then change the font and see which lines end up empty.
More work, but just as reliable when in canvas view. Plus I can save
the document and use it for future comparisons.