[scribus] Best Linux distro for Scribus

Branko Vukelic bg.branko at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 01:48:01 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Judith Miner <jwminer at accessvt.com> wrote:
<SNIPPAGE>
> I'm probably misunderstanding you, but I haven't found any xorg driver
> problem with KDE 4.3.3. I'm a VectorLinux beta tester and currently have KDE
> 4.3.3 running under VectorLinux 6 SOHO beta 1.6. Everything seems to be
> working in the video realm. My video card is an ATI Radeon 9200 using the
> open-source xorg radeon driver. This system is old (1.3 GHz Celeron
> Tualatin, 1 gig RAM) and is not the best for KDE of any recent flavor, but
> it performs in a usable fashion.
</SNIPPAGE>

I'm not a KDE user, but I do have the ATI Radeon HD series card in my
system. Problem with this card is that currently Catalyst driver
doesn't work with the latest Xorg releases (xorg-server to be precise)
and the open-source drivers provide no support for accelerated 3D. If
latest KDE requires latest xorg-server as someone pointed out earlier,
then KDE does leave you no choice other than giving up accelerated 3D.

I don't really know how this could be relevant for Scribus, though. I
use the latest Xorg release here with no 3D, and Scribus doesn't mind
it.

--
Branko Vukelić

http://foxbunny.tumblr.com/