[scribus] gray instead of black text for book interior

stedawa stedawa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 04:15:27 CET 2009

TO: scribus at lists.scribus.net

I've used Scribus to prepare a file for a friend's book of poems.

We have gone through 4 proofs. The interior text on the last 2 proofs are
not solid black, but are washed out grey.

I contacted the POD company (createspace.com), and they said

"The file is created in sRGB – this is fine but the member must ensure black
text is set to 0% RGB in order to convert properly to 100% black.  In this
file, the black text is not set as 0%, thus the text appears to be more gray
than black."

I've gone through the Scribus Color Management menus, and it looks like
there is nothing with percentage adjustments. In fact, I don't see anywhere
for a default setting for an sRGB file.

The book has one b/w photo which is now in jpg format but has not given a
problem, since the interior pages are not color.

As for the text itself, that is another story.

Here are the Scribus Color Management dropdown menu options:

______________________________________

Scribus Preferences
(  ) Activate color management
    System Profiles (pick one for each, first in the list is default)
        RGB Images:    Adobe RGB 1998
                                Apple RGB
                                CIE RGB
                                ColorMatch RGB
                                Kodak DC Series Digital Camera
                                NTSC 1953
                                PAL/SECAM
                                Pro Photo RGB
                                RICOH Russian
                                SMPTE-C
                                Wide Gamut
                                sRGB IE 61966-2.1
        CMYK Images
                                Coated FOGRA27 (ISO 12647-2:2004)
                                Euroscale coated v2
                                Euroscale uncoated v2
                                Fogra 27
                                Japan color
                                Japan coated
                                Japan uncoated
                                Japan standard
                                Photoshop 4
                                Photoshop 5
                                US sheetfeed coated
                                US sheetfeed uncoated
                                US Web coated v2
                                US Web uncoated v2
        Solid Colors
                                Adobe RGB 1998
                                Apple RGB
                                CIE RGB
                                ColorMatch RGB
                                Kodak DC Series Digital Camera
                                NTSC 1953
                                PAL/SECAM
                                Pro Photo RGB
                                RICOH Russian
                                SMPTE-C
                                Wide Gamut
                                sRGB IE 61966-2.1
        Monitor
                                Adobe RGB 1998
                                Apple RGB
                                CIE RGB
                                ColorMatch RGB
                                Kodak DC Series Digital Camera
                                NTSC 1953
                                PAL/SECAM
                                Pro Photo RGB
                                RICOH Russian
                                SMPTE-C
                                Wide Gamut
                                sRGB IE 61966-2.1
        Printer
                                Coated FOGRA27 (ISO 12647-2:2004)
                                Euroscale coated v2
                                Euroscale uncoated v2
                                Fogra 27
                                Japan color
                                Japan coated
                                Japan uncoated
                                Japan standard
                                Photoshop 4
                                Photoshop 5
                                US sheetfeed coated
                                US sheetfeed uncoated
                                US Web coated v2
                                US Web uncoated v2
    Rendering Intents
        Monitor
            Relative Colorimetric
            Saturation
            Absolute Colorimetric
        Printer
            Perceptual
            Relative Colorimetric
            Saturation
            Absolute Colorimetric

(  ) Simulate printer on the screen
(  ) use Blackpoint Compensation
_____________________________

I have no idea which of the dropdown menu choices I should choose. The POD
company says choose CMYK, but there is not setting for text element color or
ink density in Scribus.

The POD company is perhaps using an HP Indigo b/w printer for the interior
pages of the books, but they have not openly revealed that, so it remains a
hit-and-miss guessing game on how to solve this problem.

In their community help forum, I posted a similar request for help
https://www.createspace.com/en/community/thread/7142?tstart=0, but there
have been 179 reads of the posting, but 0 responses. I wonder how Scribus is
used in the DTP or POD (self publish) community.

Regardless of its popularity, I am convinced that Scribus is a robust and
worthy program and can do the job right. I am probably just a few checkboxes
away from getting it right.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I am not a tekkie, so if you suggest anything, please do not assume much
prior knowledge.

Thanks.

S. Watson