[scribus] Trilingual template - design ideas

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Dec 3 18:23:54 CET 2009

On Sunday 29 November 2009 10:22:24 TSH wrote:
> Gerard Cunningham wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 12:40 +0100, Peter Nermander wrote:
> >> One thing to keep in mind: Different languages take
different space.

> >> If I recall wrong there are figures like that french take
5-10% more
> >> space than english.
> >>
> >> So the other languages might have to have a smaller font.
> >
> > I know. The two other languages are Irish and Scots Gallic,
and Scots
> > Gallic is basically Irish before spellings were
reformed/shortened. :)

> Don't forget that you can control the horizontal width of each
character;
> in my experience a small change here (up to + or - 10%) will
not make the
> text ugly or less readable, but can make a big difference to how
the text
> fits on a page, without changing the font size. In the Story
Editor, select
> all the text you want to adjust and then change the number in
the 'Scaling
> Width' box.

I would add a Gaelic style font for the other two columns if you
can find such.  In TeX (LaTeX) there is a font family eiadcc.

I would put the illo and the English on the left hand page and the
Gaeilge & Gallic on the right, stacked one atop the other.

Or if you want to be really fancy interline the text, Gallic on top
(it's the longest) with its Irish translation right under.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"