[scribus] Best Linux distro for Scribus

Richard eyelagui at adinet.com.uy
Sat Dec 5 03:57:15 CET 2009

I use a laptop on ATI x1270 graphics and RS690 chipset.

When going from KDE 3 to KDE 4 i had to leave ATI's driver, so i lost
power management and not only video acceleration, since the system didnt
even reach desktop with open source drivers.
If KDE would kept 3.xx (say 3.7, 3.8) i could be able to use the same
old driver.
I repeat, i don't know why or how, but is what happens to me, to 3 more
friends using the same systems(2 Linux geek/gurus) and to a lot of
people on ATI video cards and or ati chipsets as i have seen on linux
forums.
But not every ATI video card, just a few in the middle, between the
"new" series and x700(or so) series cards.
The "new" ones have proprietary drivers, and the older ones have fully
working open source drivers.
It's true you dont need 3D on Scribus, but to my videocard, the open
source driver wasn't mature enough as to provide a minimum performance,
also some artifacts appeared on every distro.

I downloaded 3 days ago the latest Kubuntu and Fedora

TODAY i have a wonderful 3D acceleration on Ubuntu , but still can't use
my laptop on battery, so work (with scribus in linux) on exteriors or
far from the electrical outlet is not allowed.
TODAY i have a wonderful battery life on Fedora, but my screen gets full
of artifacts from time to time... (minute by minute), so working on
anything graphic  (let's say scribus) is nonsense. Console mode works
also like ..... crap.

I repeat ONLY LINUX with KDE 4.xx.
I have a great battery performance on KDE3.xx with no graphis issues,
and amazing 3D performance.

Off course, i also use 4GB of RAM so i need 64bits OS, and that's
something that does'nt leave me the chance to use a too much old linux,
because it seems 64bits kernel, drivers and packages were too unstable
on every distro i tested, even upto Ubuntu 8.04.

Those are the reasons why i stoped using linux since past year and
migrated Scribus and all my graphics software to Windows Seven 64bits.

Off course i can take 2GB out from my laptop and use only 2, but i also
want to manage big documents, and several runing applications wich using
only 2GB makes the computer go turtle step. 3GB may made the trick but i
cant use over 2.5GB on 32bits OS. (Win or Lin)

I know i'm a hard candy, but i can't loose time by investigating
everything, i need something that works right from being installed so i
can start on work immediatelly.
I would prefer that KDE kept the old format and the effort to bring 4.xx
were used to make better 64bits packages/drivers/kernel, but i have poor
hardware management on 4.xx and poor 64bits on 3.xx