[scribus] mysterious bootlog file

"Sveinn í Felli (IMAP)" sveinki at nett.is
Wed Aug 19 09:55:26 CEST 2009

Craig wrote:
> Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
>> 1) How did you create the file in the first place?
>> "BOOTLOG.DAT...which I created to keep a log of ..."
>>
>> 2) Do other apps ask for this file ever?
>>
>> 3) Try deleting the .scribus directory equivalent for Windows. (I
>> don't know what this called on Windows, but on Linux it is
>> "/home/username/.scribus".) On Windows it is probably "C:\Documents
>> and Settings\username\scribus" or maybe "C:\Documents and
>> Settings\username\.scribus" but I don't use Windows. And then
>> restarting Scribus
>>
>> #3 is prolly yer best bet
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Robert Marma<robert_marma at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Hello again,
>>>  At the risk of bothering you once again, I am writing to the group with yet another problem.  I recently installed version 1.3.3.14svn and am slowly delving into the intracies of using the app.  However, I have noticed what I hope is merely a minor anomaly.  Before the application window and the New Document dialog appear it asks for a file called BOOTLOG.DAT, which I had on my system before I used my Asus recovery disc to reinstall Windows XP.  The file, which I created to keep a log of boot dates and times at bootup, should not be there now, since I never reinstalled it after reinstalling Windows.  However, the real questions are: (1) "Why is Scribus asking for this file in the first place?" and  (2) "If Scribus really needs such a file, should I re-install the one I had?"
>>>  I apologize if I am bothering you with what might appear to be trivial problems, but please bear in mind that I am a Scribus "Newbie".
>>>  Thanks again for your time and patience.
>>> Bob
>

> Scribus does not look for such a file, and does not contain
> "BOOTLOG.DAT" in its sources.. feel free to check them out from SVN at
> any time.
>
> $ grep -R BOOTLOG.DAT Version133x/*
> $
>
> or for that matter for Version135:
> $ grep -R BOOTLOG.DAT Version135/*
> $
>
> or trunk:
> $ grep -R BOOTLOG.DAT trunk/*
> $

It seems that if one boots WinXP up with the F8-bootlog
option, it results in a 'bootlog.dat' file being created
automatically. Should be read by Msconfig, Boot.Ini tab,
Check Bootlog option - should have nothing to do with
Scribus as a program.

Seems you may have some kind of WinXP problem, maybe turning
bootlogging on and then off (or the other way) may do
something. Dunno, it's been a while since I touched a
Windows machine.

Sveinn í Felli