[scribus] Kerning redux

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Wed Aug 19 18:45:53 CEST 2009

   For what it's worth, this ie exactly the opposite of how Adobe
Illustrator CS works. When I select a single character and and apply
negative kerning to it, the character to the right of the selected
character shifts to the right. When I select two characters and apply
the same kerning, the two characters come closest together, and the
spacing between the rightmost selected character and the first
unselected character to the right of the selection also gets smaller.
   I've been using Illustrator for about 20 years now and I believe
that earlier versions behaved exactly the way Scribus behaves, moving
the selected character(s) to the left for negative kerning. Unlike in
Scribus 1.3.5.1 on Mac OS X, in Illustrator, placing the blinking
cursor between the two characters to be kerned and applying kerning
has no effect on the spacing of the two characters.

   Perhaps this is the partial solution to your problem. Maybe you
just need to select only the diacritical without selecting the
character it is to be placed on top of. I don't know anything about
the combining diacriticals, but I just tried this with two random
characters and it seems to work reasonably well. Of course, you may
also need to adjust the kerning of the character _after_ the
combining diacritical to keep it properly spaced with the main
character of the diacritical pair.

Best,
John