[scribus] PDF X/1a:2001 again.

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 17 15:49:32 CEST 2009

On 08/17/2009 08:15 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Sunday 16 August 2009 10:22:27 pm Murray Strome wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:33 PM,  "Craig"
>> <cbradney at zip.com.au>  wrote:
>>
>>                  John Culleton wrote:
>>
>>> My old nemesis LSI is still insisting on the above PDF format;
>>> otherwise they will run the cover file through a process that
>>> rasterizes the file.  When it comes to access to Amazon it is
>>> their bat and their ball and you have to play the game their
>>> way.
>>>
>>> I remember that some time back this standard was in the summer
>>> of code or something like that.  It is not in 1.3.5.1 however.
>>>
>>> If there was another way to get economical access to Amazon I
>>> would surely use it, but there isn't AFAICT.
>>>
>> Erm.. what about our CreateSpace Self-Publishing service?
>> http://www.createspace.com/
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> What about Trafford Publishing?
>> http://www.trafford.com/AboutUs/default.aspx

>> _ Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new
>> Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free!
>> at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/ --------------
>> next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>
> Trafford is a subsidy, which means the unit cost is way too high,
> the reviewers will reject it out of hand because of the subsidy
> imprint etc.  There are 58 subsidies listed in "The Fine Print"
> grouped by desirability into five groups. Trafford is classed in
> the bottom group.  If you want to know why read the book. Most of
> the subsidies use either LSI or Booksurge for the printing and
> distibution so it makes no sense to have a middleman.
> Booksurge and CreateSpace are essentially the same outfit.
>
> The top subsidies in my study of success on Amazon were Booklocker,
> Infinity and Lulu in that order. Booklocker had a two to one
> advantage in Amazon rankings over the next highest.   All three
> will let you use your own ISBN and imprint,  an absolute
> requirement IMO.  But I don't wnat to use any subsidy, for reasons
> stated above.
>
> I am looking for four things in a POD printer:
> 1. Good quality printing.
> 2. Access to Amazon
> 3. Reasonable unit cost.
> 4. Ability to use my own choice of software: TeX for the interiior
> and Scribus for the cover.
>
> LSI meets all the above except for number 4.  LSI really want syou
> to use InDesign, Distiller,  and X/1a:2001. Createspace is more
> liberal on covers, has a reasonable unit cost,  but requires a
> higher discount on Amazon than LSI which decreases my profit
> margin. And with Createspace the jury is still out on quality. I
> will test.
>
> See my short list below for info on "The Fine Print."
>
> Like Diogenes with his lamp I am still looking for the ideal digital
> printer and distribution channel. If and when I can get X/1a:2001
> output from Scribus I will go with LSI.

> [...]
One of the lessons we gained from our official Scribus manual is that it
is not out of the realm of consideration for us to consider forming our
own publishing company, now that we have seen and dealt with a number of
pitfalls in the process and have some sense of how to do this. It takes
some effort, to be sure, but what is appealing in the end is the control
one has in dealing with various elements of this process.

There are basically 3 elements to contend with: 1) setting up some kind
of publishing entity, in essence forming a corporation in some
particular country, 2) making arrangements with a commercial printing
operation (LSI being one, Mardigrafe being another) for the physical
printing of books, and then 3) figuring out the distribution channel(s)
(amazon being one), along with the means of customers interacting with
this for purchasing and receiving their books. These days, of course,
number 2 isn't an essential element, if one decides to bring out e-books
or something similar.

We have yet to decide if we will go this route of creating a "Scribus
Publishing Company", since it does require some work and we know that
even with success there is not a great deal of income generated by such
an effort.

Greg