[scribus] PDF X/1a:2001 again.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Aug 17 14:15:26 CEST 2009

On Sunday 16 August 2009 10:22:27 pm Murray Strome wrote:
> On Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:33 PM,  "Craig"
> <cbradney at zip.com.au> wrote:
>
>                 John Culleton wrote:
> > My old nemesis LSI is still insisting on the above PDF format;
> > otherwise they will run the cover file through a process that
> > rasterizes the file.  When it comes to access to Amazon it is
> > their bat and their ball and you have to play the game their
> > way.
> >
> > I remember that some time back this standard was in the summer
> > of code or something like that.  It is not in 1.3.5.1 however.
> >
> > If there was another way to get economical access to Amazon I
> > would surely use it, but there isn't AFAICT.
>
> Erm.. what about our CreateSpace Self-Publishing service?
> http://www.createspace.com/
>
> Craig
>
> What about Trafford Publishing?
> http://www.trafford.com/AboutUs/default.aspx

>_ Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new
> Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free!
> at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/ --------------
> next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Trafford is a subsidy, which means the unit cost is way too high,
the reviewers will reject it out of hand because of the subsidy
imprint etc.  There are 58 subsidies listed in "The Fine Print"
grouped by desirability into five groups. Trafford is classed in
the bottom group.  If you want to know why read the book. Most of
the subsidies use either LSI or Booksurge for the printing and
distibution so it makes no sense to have a middleman.
Booksurge and CreateSpace are essentially the same outfit.

The top subsidies in my study of success on Amazon were Booklocker,
Infinity and Lulu in that order. Booklocker had a two to one
advantage in Amazon rankings over the next highest.   All three
will let you use your own ISBN and imprint,  an absolute
requirement IMO.  But I don't wnat to use any subsidy, for reasons
stated above.

I am looking for four things in a POD printer:
1. Good quality printing.
2. Access to Amazon
3. Reasonable unit cost.
4. Ability to use my own choice of software: TeX for the interiior
and Scribus for the cover.

LSI meets all the above except for number 4.  LSI really want syou
to use InDesign, Distiller,  and X/1a:2001. Createspace is more
liberal on covers, has a reasonable unit cost,  but requires a
higher discount on Amazon than LSI which decreases my profit
margin. And with Createspace the jury is still out on quality. I
will test.

See my short list below for info on "The Fine Print."

Like Diogenes with his lamp I am still looking for the ideal digital
printer and distribution channel. If and when I can get X/1a:2001
output from Scribus I will go with LSI.

It would also help mightily if Scribus had a merge layers feature
like Gimp, so that I could use transparency, blends etc. and still
get pdf 1.3 output. Consider that a feature request.

Happy Monday, everyone.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters