[scribus] PDF X/1a:2001 again.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Aug 17 18:08:53 CEST 2009

On Monday 17 August 2009 09:49:32 am Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 08/17/2009 08:15 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 August 2009 10:22:27 pm Murray Strome wrote:
> >> On Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:33 PM,  "Craig"
> >> <cbradney at zip.com.au>  wrote:

> >> Erm.. what about our CreateSpace Self-Publishing service?
> >> http://www.createspace.com/
> >>
> >> Craig
> >>
> >> What about Trafford Publishing?
> >> http://www.trafford.com/AboutUs/default.aspx

> >>___ _ Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new
> >> Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for
> >> Free! at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/
> >
> > Trafford is a subsidy, which means the unit cost is way too
> > high, the reviewers will reject it out of hand because of the
> > subsidy imprint etc.  There are 58 subsidies listed in "The
> > Fine Print" grouped by desirability into five groups. Trafford
> > is classed in the bottom group.  If you want to know why read
> > the book. Most of the subsidies use either LSI or Booksurge for
> > the printing and distibution so it makes no sense to have a
> > middleman.
> > Booksurge and CreateSpace are essentially the same outfit.
> >
> > The top subsidies in my study of success on Amazon were
> > Booklocker, Infinity and Lulu in that order. Booklocker had a
> > two to one advantage in Amazon rankings over the next highest.
> >  All three will let you use your own ISBN and imprint,  an
> > absolute requirement IMO.  But I don't wnat to use any subsidy,
> > for reasons stated above.
> >
> > I am looking for four things in a POD printer:
> > 1. Good quality printing.
> > 2. Access to Amazon
> > 3. Reasonable unit cost.
> > 4. Ability to use my own choice of software: TeX for the
> > interiior and Scribus for the cover.
> >
> > LSI meets all the above except for number 4.  LSI really want
> > syou to use InDesign, Distiller,  and X/1a:2001. Createspace is
> > more liberal on covers, has a reasonable unit cost,  but
> > requires a higher discount on Amazon than LSI which decreases
> > my profit margin. And with Createspace the jury is still out on
> > quality. I will test.
> >
> > See my short list below for info on "The Fine Print."
> >
> > Like Diogenes with his lamp I am still looking for the ideal
> > digital printer and distribution channel. If and when I can get
> > X/1a:2001 output from Scribus I will go with LSI.
> >
> > It would also help mightily if Scribus had a merge layers
> > feature like Gimp, so that I could use transparency, blends
> > etc. and still get pdf 1.3 output. Consider that a feature
> > request.
>
> One of the lessons we gained from our official Scribus manual is
> that it is not out of the realm of consideration for us to
> consider forming our own publishing company, now that we have
> seen and dealt with a number of pitfalls in the process and have
> some sense of how to do this. It takes some effort, to be sure,
> but what is appealing in the end is the control one has in
> dealing with various elements of this process.

> [...]

For either POD printing or e-book sales I suggest that the volume be
slimmed down by about half. All of the material inside the present
book is interesting and valuable but when printing POD you pay by
the page.

For e-book sales you can list for free and Booklocker will take only
30% of the cover price.  But I much prefer a perfect bound copy.
If the projected sales are 500 copies or more I would use offset
printing to get the unit cost down. LSI has an offset option.

I publish books with nothing more than a separate bank account.

If you like I can handle the publishing and printing for the USA and
possibly the UK audiences via either LSI and Amazon or CreateSpace
and Amazon.  Possibly the book can be printed offset without using
LSI and distributed via Fullfillment by Amazon.

Just some possibilities.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95