[scribus] Appying character styles to words?

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon Aug 17 09:23:54 CEST 2009

buondì,

> Properties palette takes up way to much screen space to be useable for
> a task like this I think. If i'm going through a text to apply bold or
> italic face to some words or phrases I want the text on the screen,
> not the properties palette.

F2 shows and hides the PP. and if everything goes well, in the (near?)
future, there will be some big changes to the PP which will solve your
current problem!

a right click on the style name in the style editor let's you also apply
your prefered character style (i just found it out, too :-)

> I also noted in the bug tracker that the story editor does not yet
> support character styles?
>
> This really means that the character styles are next to useless for me
> in their current state, then I can relax and go back to 1.3.3.13.

yep, i don't think that 1.3.5 is ready for prouctive work. but it would
be nice if you could make a report of the reasons why you think you
can't use it for your work!

>> you can inherit a character style into a character part of a paragraph
>> part. so you don't have to define the style twice.
>>
> But I can not do the opposite, from what I can see. I have a lot of
> created paragraph styles (imported from 1.3.3.13 document) to which I
> want to add character styles. And there seems to be no way to do that?
> Because for character styles I can only find other character styles in
> the inherits from box. I need to create the character styles before
> the paragraph styles?

i guess that the best solution would be an item "new character style
from selection" (i wonder how the label could be shortened...) for the
context menu in the edit styles list...
if you agree, could you post a feature request in the bug tracker?

ciao
a.l.e