[scribus] Trying to get 1.3.5 to put on Ubuntu machine

Pierre Marchand capparis at free.fr
Fri Aug 14 17:30:56 CEST 2009

Vous (StevenD) avez écrit :
> Pierre Marchand wrote:
> > For Debian and Debian-derivative users, the best is to subscribe
> > to the Scribus own Debian repository as documented here [0].
> > New "stable" versions of Fontmatrix will show up there first.
> > If you want to play with latest toys in Fontmatrix, same users can
> > follow instructions maintained here [1].
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > [0] http://www.scribus.net/?q=debian
> > [1]
> > http://svn.gna.org/svn/undertype/trunk/tools/typotek/debian-ubuntu-instal
> >l.tx
>
> I went to instructions for [1]. It says,
>
>     first we install the compilation metapackage by typing:
>     sudo apt-get install build-essential
>
> Am I supposed to download something first? Where is the metapackage
> coming from? That may seem like a dumb question but I have gone to some
> download pages for various apps and I see a list of items and I honestly
> don't know what I am supposed to download sometimes or even if I am
> supposed to download anything.

apt is the underlying package manager for Debian distros, and apt-get is the
part of it which deals with installation/removal. The command you quoted asks
apt to get the needed packages to let you build programs right on your box. In
fact, you do the right thing at asking for all and everything but well, I will
do the regular answer for such questions: RTFM :-) Or blindly follow
instructions given by others.

bon week-end

--
Pierre Marchand