[scribus] Trying to get 1.3.5 to put on Ubuntu machine

StevenD daytonmeister at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 16:10:11 CEST 2009

Pierre Marchand wrote:
> For Debian and Debian-derivative users, the best is to subscribe
> to the Scribus own Debian repository as documented here [0].
> New "stable" versions of Fontmatrix will show up there first.
> If you want to play with latest toys in Fontmatrix, same users can
> follow instructions maintained here [1].
>
> HTH
>
> [0] http://www.scribus.net/?q=debian
> [1] http://svn.gna.org/svn/undertype/trunk/tools/typotek/debian-ubuntu-install.tx
I went to instructions for [1]. It says,

    first we install the compilation metapackage by typing:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential

Am I supposed to download something first? Where is the metapackage
coming from? That may seem like a dumb question but I have gone to some
download pages for various apps and I see a list of items and I honestly
don't know what I am supposed to download sometimes or even if I am
supposed to download anything.

I guess I could go through the instructions and see what happens but I
thought I would ask before I proceed.

I tried to follow the instructions for [0] but had a hard time following
some of it. I was working with the section titled "II. Step-by-step
instructions for the patient and new users" and when I got to where it
said to click the New button there is no New button to click. When I
selected Repositories from the Settings menu I get a window dealing with
Software sources. I got lost after that.

BTW I am on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.

Thanks for the help so far.

StevenD