[scribus] Kerning with combining diacriticals

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Aug 12 23:22:08 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 12 August 2009 12:08:16 pm John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:48:15 -0400
>
> John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:
> > On Wednesday 12 August 2009 03:28:05 am John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > > On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:59:07 -0400
> > >
> > > This may work if I can figure it out. Unfortunately, I know
> > > zero about TeX.
> > >
> > > At this point I just need to get combining diacriticals for
> > > syllabic (329) and voiceless (325) correctly centered on an l
> > > or an m. For letters like n or r the spacing of the combining
> > > diacritical is perfect. Note that I do not need stacking at
> > > all.
> > >
> > > When you say "there is a LaTeX exit in 1.3.5" I do not know
> > > what you mean. Or are you referring to the formula generator?
> > > And bear in mind that I need the character with its
> > > diacritical in ordinary text. I assume the code you stated
> > > above will do this. Would I enter the code in Story Editor
> > > and then the actual glyphs will appear in the canvas?
> > >
> > > Is there a place where can I read up on the syntax for TeX
> > > that I need without having to spend a year studying it?
> >
> > The tutorial "A Gentle Introduction to TeX" is very old but
> > still useful. I have posted a copy here:
> > http://wexfordpress.com/tex/gentle.pdf
>
> Thanks for the PDF. I read the section about diacriticals, but it
> did not list the voiceless or syllabic diacritical. Voiceless is
> a small circle, similar to the citcle on Ångstrom, but below the
> letter. For characters with a descender it is customary to put
> the circle above the letter, although I frequently see it still
> below the letter but adjusted lower so it does not impact the
> descender. (I would prefer this method, and it should be possible
> using Scribus' adjustment to the baseline). The syllabic
> diacritical is a small vertical bar and is used the same as the
> voiceless symbol.
>
> So I need to know how to enter these two diacriticals in TeX. If
> an underdot below an o is \.o, I need to know what character to
> use for these two diacriticals. Or is there a way to use a
> Unicode value for the symbol instead of a letter? Also, do they
> need a space like the haček?
>
> And I also need to figure out how to tell Scribus "hey, the next
> characters should be rendered as TeX, OK"? Presumably there are
> some characters I can enter in Story Editor for the "hey" and the
> "OK."

With Scribus 1.3.5 and higher you have an icon for TeX. You draw a
fram something like a text frame. but it operates differently.
There is a sample already in the frame. You can delete that and put
any code you like including regular text, diacritics etc.

I' look up your aprticulr needs later. Gotta go!

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95