[scribus] Kerning with combining diacriticals

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Aug 12 18:08:16 CEST 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:48:15 -0400
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

> On Wednesday 12 August 2009 03:28:05 am John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:59:07 -0400

> > This may work if I can figure it out. Unfortunately, I know zero
> > about TeX.
> >
> > At this point I just need to get combining diacriticals for
> > syllabic (329) and voiceless (325) correctly centered on an l or
> > an m. For letters like n or r the spacing of the combining
> > diacritical is perfect. Note that I do not need stacking at all.
> >
> > When you say "there is a LaTeX exit in 1.3.5" I do not know what
> > you mean. Or are you referring to the formula generator? And bear
> > in mind that I need the character with its diacritical in
> > ordinary text. I assume the code you stated above will do this.
> > Would I enter the code in Story Editor and then the actual glyphs
> > will appear in the canvas?
> >
> > Is there a place where can I read up on the syntax for TeX that I
> > need without having to spend a year studying it?

> The tutorial "A Gentle Introduction to TeX" is very old but still
> useful. I have posted a copy here:
> http://wexfordpress.com/tex/gentle.pdf

Thanks for the PDF. I read the section about diacriticals, but it did
not list the voiceless or syllabic diacritical. Voiceless is a small
circle, similar to the citcle on Ångstrom, but below the letter. For
characters with a descender it is customary to put the circle above the
letter, although I frequently see it still below the letter but
adjusted lower so it does not impact the descender. (I would prefer
this method, and it should be possible using Scribus' adjustment to the
baseline). The syllabic diacritical is a small vertical bar and is used
the same as the voiceless symbol.

So I need to know how to enter these two diacriticals in TeX. If an
underdot below an o is \.o, I need to know what character to use for
these two diacriticals. Or is there a way to use a Unicode value for
the symbol instead of a letter? Also, do they need a space like the
haček?

And I also need to figure out how to tell Scribus "hey, the next
characters should be rendered as TeX, OK"? Presumably there are some
characters I can enter in Story Editor for the "hey" and the "OK."