[scribus] Scribus Limits, Present and Future

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Mon Aug 10 20:39:29 CEST 2009

John Beardmore wrote
>I suppose until 1.3.5 is released, there isn't much point in
>comparing experiences in detail, but maybe once 1.3.5 is out we
>should all contribute the following information for our larger
>projects ?

   OK. I took a few minutes to play with this. I tried copying the
text from a friend's book I'm working on in another application. It
is 318 6x9 pages in 15 chapters. I first copied just the first
chapter which came out to 9 pages with a single text frame covering
most of each page. At this point, the document was disturbingly
unresponsive, but not as bad as John Jason Jordan described. Mouse
and keyboard input seemed about equally unresponsive, although some
keyboard input (such as page up, page down, home, and end) seemed to
be completely ignored. At this point, I could still work in it, but
it would have been annoying.
   To see how bad it would get, I then inserted another 300 pages and
copied the remaining text into a second chain of text boxes not
linked to the first chain. This gave me a document with 309 pages.
The first nine pages had linked text boxes with 19,682 characters
(including spaces) in 3,233 words. The next 300 pages had a second
chain of linked text boxes, although the text (648,579 characters in
106,152 words) occupied only 296 pages.
   The responsiveness of this larger document was pretty much
indistinguishable from the responsiveness of the shorter document.
Scrolling was fairly slow, page up and down didn't work at all.
Clicking to select a text box to edit it was fairly quick, but not as
quick as I would like. Moving text boxes with the arrow keys was slow
but useable. Typing took about half a second per character.

Processor	1.86 GHz Intel Core Duo
RAM	2 GB, of which Scribus was occupying 1.49 GB
OS	Mac OS X 10.5.7
Page size	6x9
Pages	300
Linked	300
Chars	600,000
Scribus	1.3.5

   I suspect that the fact that my RAM was maxed out may be part of
what is slowing things down. Therefore, I tried restarting the
machine and opening only Scribus with this document. Scribus was
occupying about 300 MB after I first opened the document. Moving
about in the document was about the same as it was when I pasted the
first text in the original document and the memory used did not
change as I moved around. However, as soon as I entered a text frame
and started typing, the memory started going up pretty quickly. With
each character I typed, the memory used increased by about 10 MB and
it soon took up the entire 1.6 GB that was available.
   I then closed Scribus down completely and restarted it with a fresh
document. After inserting a single text frame on the only page, I
tried typing. The memory used stayed steady at about 60 MB.
   This makes me wonder if there is a memory leak in 1.3.5. I know
that 1.3.5 rc3 is just a release candidate. Given that I don't expect
to use it in the near future for any production work, that seems like
the right one for me to be evaluating.

Best,
John