[scribus] 2 questions: master pages & text flow odd/even pages

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri Aug 7 14:06:25 CEST 2009

Ciro Soto wrote:
> Good information, thanks.
> My comments are:
>
> 1) I am using only one layer (background) in the document, but still
> can't edit the text frame I
> created in the master page editor when I am outside the master page
> editor. From what Greg said,
> I can't edit any frame created in the master page editor, so I will
> have to create and edit text frame
> for each page I add to the document. Does it mean I have to use a
> template for the page plus the
> template for the master page? I am confused.

this is by design: use the scrapbook for editable elements, the master
pages for non editable ones and the guides in the master pages to easily
place the scrapbook elements.

> 2) How people have claimed books of 400+ pages using scribus then?

scribus is not the best tool for a 400+ pages book. but it can manage
the job.

depending on what you want to achieve, there may be better tools than
scribus (for now :-) for your book.
if you don't give us more details, we can't judge...

> 3) I could split the book in files with one chapter each with few
> pages each. My question is then,
> when I combine the pdf files (say I have 5 chapters, so there will be
> 5 pdf files) (I would combine them
> using pdftk, for instance)  would each pdf file have the fonts loaded?
> Would I have 5 times the font information in the final pdf file?

it should not. but you may test it to see how it behaves.

hower, if your goal is to print the file, it should not be a huge problem.

if the goal is to distribute the pdf, you may try to combine the .sla
files and then create a pdf out of the result (it is certainly possible
with your 100 pages).

> 4) When I said 300+ pages was as an example, my book is really about
> 100 pages, but my questions
> still apply.

well,  consider that my answers match also the questions for a 100 pages
book :-)

imho, in your planning phase you should use more time to find out how
scribus can help you to reach your goals  than  finding workaraounds to
keep your habits when working with scribus.

hth
a.l.e