[scribus] Newbie Mac User

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 12:26:23 CEST 2009

Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

> Hey, some additional points:
>
> - Try Crossover Office. I really works for running Windows apps --
> especially Office -- on Linux (and Mac OS, actaully)

OK.

> - Don't take this the wrong way (not that there is any other way to
> take a statement that starts with the disclaimer "don't take this the
> wrong way") but you guys sound like a bunch of crotchety geezers. "I
> don't want to run any computer that won't support my IBM 1442 Card
> Read-Punch Model 1".  Just saying...

With some validity no doubt.

> - The web is the new OS.

Don't take this the wrong way, but 'not round here it isn't' !  I can't
speak for MSIE, but firefox and the things in it gobble and leak more
resources over a few days than can be casually be explained away. At the
moment it's using 225,052k, but anything up to half a gig before it
crashes seems to be common on machines where the browser is left open
for sustained periods. There may be better browsers. I sure hope so...

Web enabled applications may have a chance when we have a browser that
is as stable as KDE, Gnome or explorer, but even then, are they the
architecture that benefits most users ?

None of the functionality I routinely need is available as web enabled
apps as far as I know, and even if it was, why would I want to be a thin
client using remote shared CPU on the end of a long fragile data link
just because I can ?

 From the little I've seen of Ajax, it's a pond I wouldn't want to swim
in unless I had to, and I don't see why most applications developers
would want to work that way given the choice. Scribus has had enough joy
moving to Qt4. Not sure that a port to the browser would go down well.

What has rendered the choice of OS obsolete to some extent is OO, Gimp,
Inkscape and Scribus.

Once the apps are cross platform, the choice of platform doesn't much
matter, but for most users it still does, and the dark heart of the
browser isn't much of an alternative, never mind the security issues,
politics and business risks of running commercial apps on third party
servers !

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor