[scribus] Newbie Mac User

Jeffrey Silverman jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 12:39:38 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 6:26 AM, John Beardmore<John at t4sltd.co.uk> wrote:
<snip!>
> Don't take this the wrong way, but 'not round here it isn't' !  I can't
> speak for MSIE, but firefox and the things in it gobble and leak more
> resources over a few days than can be casually be explained away. At the
> moment it's using 225,052k, but anything up to half a gig before it crashes
> seems to be common on machines where the browser is left open for sustained
> periods. There may be better browsers. I sure hope so...
>
> Web enabled applications may have a chance when we have a browser that is as
> stable as KDE, Gnome or explorer, but even then, are they the architecture
> that benefits most users ?

Ugh, I hear you. I spend a LOT of time using Firefox and do so only
out of necessity. I am *extremely* disappointed with the general
crappy direction FF has gone in wrt stability. I seriously have FF
crash up to five times per day, which is just plain unacceptable.

A *very* viable alternative is Opera. Opera is way better than FF. WAY
BETTER. But also, not without its issues. But seriously, it is much
more stable, much faster, easy on the eyes, renders pages great, and
has great user features. Now if only all websites would figure out,
finally, that designing sites or web apps to only work in MSIE with
ActiveX plugins (Quicken/Quickbooks, I'm looking at you) is a Bad
Idea(TM), long -term... Ah, well, maybe by 2014.

Also, I do realize that web-enabled apps require broadband internet of
some kind, and still not everyone even has the possibility of getting
that, let alone actually having it. But still, I stick with my "OS is
dead" prediction for the long term.

Finally, AJAX is just Javascript, and unless you are an old geezer,
you'll turn Javascript on. Oh, oops, whats that? Oh, sorry.

Actually, I really don't mean to pick on people who actually remember
using punch card readers -- I have fond memories of playing with
discarded punch cards and I also am fond of several old geezers. I
just think hearing old ("old" as in "older than me") people talk about
technology is funny, and I hope I can remember my current vantage
point 20 years from now. I have always found that older people,
especially smart ones, have trouble with certain types of new
concepts. I'm not explaining that very well, but I do have examples if
required.

seeya..

--
JDS