[scribus] Newbie Mac User

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Aug 2 14:54:14 CEST 2009

On Sunday 02 August 2009 08:32:23 am Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 8:26 AM, John Beardmore <John at t4sltd.co.uk>
wrote:
> > Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
> > <snip!>
> >
> > :)  The messing about required to get a root login is
> > : frustration enough
> >
> > for anybody who grew up with debian !
>
> "Messing about"? It is REALLY REALLY simple, maybe even simpler
> than Debian, to get a root login, if one really wants. I'm not
> talking "root login at GDM" though. If that's what you want, then
> stick with Debian. IMO, the whole root login thing is an area
> where Ubuntu made some good choices.
>
> > One of the recent Ubuntus seemed to screw up installation of
> > the network if you wanted fixed IP addresses.
> >
> > There are ways around these things, but maybe better to be less
> > 'friendly' in the first place, hence my interest in mint if
> > it's better tested.  (8.04 or 8.10 ?)
>
> I doubt Mint would fix that sort of problem. In Mint, if
> something fundamental is broken in Ubuntu, it seems to stay
> broken in Mint.
>
> Also, Ubuntu 9.04 is significantly better than either 2008
> release.

The first thing I do on any Debian derivative is to change the
password on root.  Then I can go to work. I am not stupid and I
have been working with computers since 1968.  I don't need
some big brother hiding things from me.  YMMV of course.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95