[scribus] Newbie Mac User

Jeffrey Silverman jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 14:32:23 CEST 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 8:26 AM, John Beardmore <John at t4sltd.co.uk> wrote:

> Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
> <snip!>
> :)  The messing about required to get a root login is frustration enough
> for anybody who grew up with debian !

"Messing about"? It is REALLY REALLY simple, maybe even simpler than Debian,
to get a root login, if one really wants. I'm not talking "root login at
GDM" though. If that's what you want, then stick with Debian. IMO, the whole
root login thing is an area where Ubuntu made some good choices.

> One of the recent Ubuntus seemed to screw up installation of the network if
> you wanted fixed IP addresses.
>
> There are ways around these things, but maybe better to be less 'friendly'
> in the first place, hence my interest in mint if it's better tested.  (8.04
> or 8.10 ?)

I doubt Mint would fix that sort of problem. In Mint, if something
fundamental is broken in Ubuntu, it seems to stay broken in Mint.

Also, Ubuntu 9.04 is significantly better than either 2008 release.

--
JDS