[scribus] Newbie Mac User

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sun Aug 2 14:26:56 CEST 2009

Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
> Hey, there does appear to be a misunderstanding about Ubuntu. Ubuntu is not
> "dumbed down" in any way. It merely makes the hard, annoying stuff easier.
> Like installation. Like setting up your network, or printer, or webcam. If,
> occasionally, you come across an example like the 3D text one, there is
> always a way around it, even if that way is reinstalling that package from
> source. Mac OS does not have that option, typically. I would simply never
> recommend Debian to new Linux users.
>
> Hey, I am a professional systems administrator and I use Ubuntu. Believe me
> that it is in no way dumbed down; Ubuntu makes some decisions, but they are
> typically good ones, and typically can be overridden.

:)  The messing about required to get a root login is frustration enough
for anybody who grew up with debian !

One of the recent Ubuntus seemed to screw up installation of the network
if you wanted fixed IP addresses.

There are ways around these things, but maybe better to be less
'friendly' in the first place, hence my interest in mint if it's better
tested.  (8.04 or 8.10 ?)

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor