[scribus] Newbie Mac User

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Sun Aug 2 01:21:31 CEST 2009

   Thanks for the clarification, Jeffrey. I'll keep it in mind as I
move forward. It seems to me possible that a distribution could make
the hard choices for the "typical" user and yet cleanly leave the
option open for a more adventurous user to choose a different path.
Unfortunately, this tends to require extra work on the part of the
developers and also leaves open the possibility the the novice user
might mess something up without knowing how to restore it. Such a
situation would cast a poor light on the distribution and thus might
be avoided by the developers who, very reasonably, want their work
seen in the best of light. Therefore, I would have to see it before I
believed that a simplified distribution was really as flexible as I
would like it to be.
   That said, I can imagine that Ubuntu, even with some dumbing down,
might be fine for me. If the type of application that is crippled is
things like screen savers and other eye candy, I'll never even
notice. One of the first things I do with any operating system is
turn off and, preferably, remove all the eye candy I can. I see no
point in wasting hard drive space on things I don't want in my house.
However, I do have to admit that locking in the text displayed by a
screen saver seems particularly heavy handed.

   As a small clarification, the possibility of removing a crippled
application and reinstalling the OS version is generally available in
Mac OS X. I used that option when I installed the much more
functional rsync 3.0.6 in favor of the ridiculously old 2.6.9
installed by Apple's latest installers. Naturally, when I'm messing
around with other people's work, I have to take steps to ensure that
their work does not cause me problems and that my messing does not
cause their work to break. Therefore, I have left rsync 2.6.9 in
place to be used by Apple's processes and installed the newer version
of rsync under a different name to be used by my scripts. This works
for me because I'm not expecting any other UNIX processes to use the
newer version of rsync. If I ever do need that functionality, I'll
burn that bridge when I get to it.

Best,
John