[scribus] SVG and text wrap

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Sep 25 23:44:18 CEST 2008

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Mike Morris wrote:
>> I am using Scribus 1.3.3.11 for Windows on a Win XP/Pro SP3 computer
>> with a
>> 1.5 GHz Pentium M processor and 2 GB of RAM.
>>
>> 1. I am new to Scribus, and to the SVG format.  I viewed the
>> information on
>> the wiki that says SVG format files cannot be inserted in a frame.  Does
>> that mean that text wrap cannot be applied?
> yes. Text-wrap will only apply to frames -- text, image, shape, and
> polygon (parts of an SVG may be labelled Polygon N in Properties, but
> they don't behave the same). If you can get any text wrap, it will
> apply to the drawn elements of the SVG. As a workaround, make an empty
> frame the size and shape you need superimposed on the SVG, then wrap
> around that. Note that text wrap will happen in text frames underneath
> (lower levels and layers) the frame you are wrapping around.
>>  I tried the Text Flow choices
>> in the Properties box without success.  I did not find any info on this
>> issue in the wiki, nor did my search of the mailing list provide any
>> results.  Have I missed something?
On rechecking and playing around, it is feasible to Item > Ungroup your
SVG, *then* apply text flows, but you will need to do it to each element
where you need to in order to get the desired effect, and you can choose
to wrap around the drawn element, the bounding box, or contour line
(which will initially be the same as the shape of element, yet
independently editable). This may or may not be worth the effort.

Greg