[scribus] SVG and text wrap

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Sep 25 23:30:34 CEST 2008

Mike Morris wrote:
> I am using Scribus 1.3.3.11 for Windows on a Win XP/Pro SP3 computer with a
> 1.5 GHz Pentium M processor and 2 GB of RAM.
>
> 1. I am new to Scribus, and to the SVG format.  I viewed the information on
> the wiki that says SVG format files cannot be inserted in a frame.  Does
> that mean that text wrap cannot be applied?
yes. Text-wrap will only apply to frames -- text, image, shape, and
polygon (parts of an SVG may be labelled Polygon N in Properties, but
they don't behave the same). If you can get any text wrap, it will apply
to the drawn elements of the SVG. As a workaround, make an empty frame
the size and shape you need superimposed on the SVG, then wrap around
that. Note that text wrap will happen in text frames underneath (lower
levels and layers) the frame you are wrapping around.
>  I tried the Text Flow choices
> in the Properties box without success.  I did not find any info on this
> issue in the wiki, nor did my search of the mailing list provide any
> results.  Have I missed something?
>
> 2. Every time I click on an SVG file after importing it into Scribus (in
> order to select it, with the left mouse button), it gets smaller.  Is this
> expected behavior?

no. Not sure why it is happening. An SVG should have something like a
bounding box (even though it doesn't help with text flow) that you can
resize the whole SVG with. You can also ungroup it and resize individual
elements.

BTW, you might upgrade to 1.3.3.12, not that it will change any of these
issues.

Greg