[scribus] Best distro for 1.3.5

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Sun Sep 21 22:32:35 CEST 2008

John Culleton wrote:
> I am in a never ending chase trying to update my Qt 4 to keep up with
> 1.3.5 svn on my Slackware system. Is there a distro out there, stable
> or unstable, that updates Qt as often as Scribus 1.3.5.?  I jump
> through all the requisite hoops but the cmake can't find the latest
> Qt 4.4.0 I just installed.   I built C-C-T-F-Q a while back but can't
> replicate my success.
>
> So what distro do the Scribus software writers use?

I don't know which distro the Scribus developers use, but you might
consider Arch Linux. Not sure exactly how often Qt is updated, but
everything in the system is upgraded quite frequently. The philosophy is
to always use the latest stable version of everything (the definition of
"stable" apparently bends a bit for widely used libraries).

So I currently have Qt 4.4.0 installed and had no trouble building
Scribus 1.3.5 (Qt is in the main Arch repo, while Scribus-svn is an
unsupported source package in the community repo known as AUR). If I
upgraded Qt today I would have 4.4.2. This is my first time building
Scribus-svn, but I have been using Arch for about 3 years, done dozens
of full system upgrades, and only had serious issues once (when there
was a major change to the boot process, and that was mainly because I
didn't read the instructions). In installing or upgrading individual
packages, source or binary, supported or unsupported, I've had far fewer
problems than I had with Red Hat or Debian, which I used for about 8
years combined before switching to Arch.

So check it out: http://www.archlinux.org/

--
Matt Gushee