[scribus] Text box Columns

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Sat Sep 20 03:51:38 CEST 2008

The task is to convert a 8 page winelist and create a single "A0"
> page with it all on so it can be printed.
> The first thing i did was convert the the winelist that was in a
> ODT document. It was formatted in tables of about 5 columns so i
> created another copy by converting all the tables to text (with tab
> separators) and lined it all up nicely.
> I then created a scribus document and imported this newly formatted
> ODT. I then used the Storyeditor to make sure it was lined up
> nicely. I saved it back and the formatting was lost and it looked
> as if tabs had been inserted in some rows and some removed in
> others.
> Can anyone point me in the right direction has to how i would
> create a style or something where i can line these columns up and
> keep them fixed?

Hi Ian
Did you know that you can precisely position the text boxes in the x,y,z of the
<F2> Properties Diaog.
You can lock the text boxes using <CTRL L>  and can edit the contents while locked.
  I would not reccomend grouping text boxes <CTRL G> because you cannot edit
individual box contents.
I have found that locking text boxes has for me superceeded making master pages
or templates because I can simply delete text and images then input new as required.

I use the tab stops in the text box quite a lot.
If you zoom up on the text box and need 4 columns, double click in the text box
and the tab stop capability appears in the ruler. Simply drag tab stops from the
left to where you want the text to start.
The problem with this is that tab stops do not carry through on individual
lines, you may have to set tab stops for each line because for some reason the
tabs for following lines may not line up or may not exist..

abcdefg       abcdefg           abcdefg          abcdefg

Roger