[scribus] Using Scribus for a newsletter

Jan Schrewe jschrewe at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 19 20:34:57 CEST 2008

Hi,

> >> Then I go to the Page menu, and click on "convert to master page," give
> >> it
> >> name, and click okay. Then I click on the edit menu and go to Master
> >
> > Let me first ask you why do you want to convert the page to a Master
> > Page? Master Pages are like a page background. Appying a Master Page to a
> > page is like changing the background for that page.
>
>       I thought I needed to make master pages in order to put the document
> together so it would automatically number the pages in a correct sequence.
> I was hoping master pages would help me with imposition. So I'm left with
> the question: How do I set up pages so that the front page of my newsletter
> will be on the right side of a double page, and the last page will be on
> the left side -- with page 2 and the second-from-last page on the other
> side of the same sheet?

The easiest and fastest way is to use the Acrobat Reader. That's how I usually
do it fpr newsletters that get printed. Just set the pagesize in Scribus to
half the size you want to print in (here in Europe that is usually A5) and
include the margin for Areas that the printer can't print on.

Design your stuff and export a PDF. Then open it in Acrobat Reader (has to be
8 I think) and set it to brochure printing. Then print that to a file and
convert the resulting Postscript-FIle to PDF and your are done. There might
be simpler ways, but I found that Acrobat is the best software when it comes
to getting the colors right.

> > If you want pages with frames etc to use as templates for new pages,
> > Scribus does not currently support that in a good way. The best way is
> > probably to make a document with template pages and then import a page
> > from that document when you want to use a specific template.
> >
> > Also note that the Master Page is save in the document. If you open or
> > start a new document, it will have it's own Master Pages.
>
>        This sounds like useful information, but I don't know what it means.
> What ARE master pages, and how do they work?

It worls like an Image that gets placed in the background of your document.
There is a little automatic stuff, like pagenumbering, but mainly thnk of it
as an image.

>        Thanks again. I'm sorry to be/seem obtuse.
>

>      -Joe

Jan