[scribus] Using Scribus for a newsletter

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Sep 14 17:01:31 CEST 2008

Joe, I'm not using Scribus yet, but I think I can help with Master Pages.
The elements on a MP can only be those that will be used for the entire publication, not just a few pages. For example, I put the magazine title and page number on the bottom of every page, so my DTP program (I'm using PageMaker 6) will automatically put that on every page. If I don't want the front and back covers to be counted as pages, I have to make a separate file for the covers.

What I do is create the first magazine from scratch with the average number of pages. I create the masthead and things that won't be changing, and create master pages (PM has a left and right MP... haven't had time to play with Scribus enough to know if it does that -- if not try putting the page number centered in the page instead of near the edge). I then save it with the edition number in the title (such as AMC8.pm6). I will then fill out that magazine and of course print it. When I start working on the next issue, I open the last one first. Then I change the edition info, delete anything that won't be repeated (I usually leave headlines and photo captions in place so I can simply move and edit them, keeps the text properties that way!), and save it with the next edition name. Then I work on that one and repeat. This lets me do a quick review of the last issue as well as serves as a template. Just remember to save the last issue as a new file before you do much! I have hit the "save" button before changing the file, but only 2-3 times over the last 10 years of publishing. Since I save as a PDF file as well as a PM native file, losing the native file just means I can't easily edit or change anything -- not a big loss since the issue has already been published and shouldn't be changed anyway.