[scribus] Using Scribus for a newsletter

Joe Ward bluegrass_joe at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 19 20:18:05 CEST 2008

Thanks for all the kind answers to my fumbling attempts to use the features
of Scribus. I'm sorry I've been slow to respond. I live in Louisville KY,
where the north edge of Hurricane Ike came through last Sunday and put about
300,000 of us out of power for a few days. It also dumped some big limbs in
our yards, for us to clean up. Got me off task there for a few days.

I think I'm as confused as ever. Please see responses below to suggestions
made.

From: "Peter Nermander" <peter at nermander.se>

> A template is a template document. You would get the same function if you
> saved a scribus document and then made a new copy of it.

       So why does anybody make templates? What are they for?

>> Then I go to the Page menu, and click on "convert to master page," give
>> it
>> name, and click okay. Then I click on the edit menu and go to Master
>
> Let me first ask you why do you want to convert the page to a Master Page?
> Master Pages are like a page background. Appying a Master Page to a page
> is like changing the background for that page.

      I thought I needed to make master pages in order to put the document
together so it would automatically number the pages in a correct sequence. I
was hoping master pages would help me with imposition. So I'm left with the
question: How do I set up pages so that the front page of my newsletter will
be on the right side of a double page, and the last page will be on the left
side -- with page 2 and the second-from-last page on the other side of the
same sheet?

> If you want pages with frames etc to use as templates for new pages,
> Scribus does not currently support that in a good way. The best way is
> probably to make a document with template pages and then import a page
> from that document when you want to use a specific template.
>
> Also note that the Master Page is save in the document. If you open or
> start a new document, it will have it's own Master Pages.

       This sounds like useful information, but I don't know what it means.
What ARE master pages, and how do they work?

       Thanks again. I'm sorry to be/seem obtuse.

     -Joe