[scribus] Scribus suitable for a webzine?

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 05:56:44 CEST 2008

Hi David,

On 9/16/08, David Block <davidblock at mindspring.com> wrote:
> ....uses Quark to do the layouts for several newspapers here and these
> are
> published on the Internet.  He has suggested using Quark or Indesign,
> preferably the former.)   We will need to have links (to Amazon, for
> example)
> and a wiki.  I've tried to use Joomla! ...

If you plan to publish PDFs to the Internet then Scribus is fine that
you can use to place links to Amazon and other websites in addition to
embedding some Javascript in the PDF documents.

However, if you'd like to have your stuff in HTML (generated by a PHP
generated CMS presumably) then I would suggest that you use a CMS
which is PHP5 compliant as php.net is going to drop support for
versions below 5.0 end of this year. I don't think Joomla is
compliant. Further, you need to use a tool that generates clean
HTML/XHTML with appropriate standards-based CSS to increase your
chances of being found in search engine results. I would suggest that
you use DreamWeaver (which generates clean HTML) and either,
preferably, hand-code CSS or use a third-party CSS editor (westciv
people for example). As a last resort, you can use DreamWeaver's own
CSS facilities which are pretty good as well. In that case, I would
suggest that you use DreamWeaver Page Templates to easily enter your
content.

-Asif