[scribus] Scribus suitable for a webzine?

dwain dwain.alford at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 06:50:52 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:56 PM, Asif Lodhi <asif.lodhi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On 9/16/08, David Block <davidblock at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> ....uses Quark to do the layouts for several newspapers here and these
>> are
>> published on the Internet.  He has suggested using Quark or Indesign,
>> preferably the former.)   We will need to have links (to Amazon, for
>> example)
>> and a wiki.  I've tried to use Joomla! ...
>
> If you plan to publish PDFs to the Internet then Scribus is fine that
> you can use to place links to Amazon and other websites in addition to
> embedding some Javascript in the PDF documents.
>
> However, if you'd like to have your stuff in HTML (generated by a PHP
> generated CMS presumably) then I would suggest that you use a CMS
> which is PHP5 compliant as php.net is going to drop support for
> versions below 5.0 end of this year. I don't think Joomla is
> compliant. Further, you need to use a tool that generates clean
> HTML/XHTML with appropriate standards-based CSS to increase your
> chances of being found in search engine results. I would suggest that
> you use DreamWeaver (which generates clean HTML) and either,
> preferably, hand-code CSS or use a third-party CSS editor (westciv
> people for example). As a last resort, you can use DreamWeaver's own
> CSS facilities which are pretty good as well. In that case, I would
> suggest that you use DreamWeaver Page Templates to easily enter your
> content.

and also make sure that the content is accessible.  there are problems
with pdfs not being very accessible, but can be made so, but it takes
some work.  unless of course the devs of scribus have built this into
the software.
dwain
--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin