[scribus] Dumb justification question.

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 04:20:51 CEST 2008

2008/9/15 John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>

> On Monday 15 September 2008 04:18:45 pm Louis Desjardins wrote:
> > 2008/9/15 John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>
> >
> > > I have a file in 1.3.3.12, It is one page, all text, imported
> > > from OO. I can't get the justification feature to work.  Do I
> > > need to turn off something from the OO import?
> >
> > John,
> >
> > You mean the text won't hyphenate at all?
> >
> > There is nothing specific to be done at OO.o level, afaik.
> >
> > You can check the hyphenation settings in the Scribus Preferences >
> > Hyphenator as the rules that are there might be too tight for what
> > you need to achieve. You have 3 fields IIRC. Word length, Number of
> > consecutive hyphens, and Language.
> >
> > Then, your text frame must be activated in order to be able to
> > hyphenate. You may need to deselect and reselect the text frame. By
> > all means it should work!
> >
> > Please let me know!
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Louis
>
> Justification and hyphenation are two different (but related) animals.
> If I have no style at all then both hyphenation and justification can
> occur. But then I lose the paragraph indents. If I apply  a style
> then justification disappears.
>
> So perhaps my question is, how do I define a style to contain both
> justification and a paragraph indent?

There is a bug. When you edit the text, hyphenation goes away. You have to
re-hyphenate. There might be another one (yet, related). Once you apply a
style, dpes hyphenation go away as well? The workaround should then be to
re-hyphenate. If this is correct, then this is a bug and it should be filed
as such.

Sorry I cannot test at present time. I can only go as IIRC. There is a way
to have a styled text hyphenated. You cannot put hyphenation as part of the
stylesheet instructions yet. But you can apply the stylesheet, then
hyphenate. The annoying part of this is when you edit the text further down,
you lose hyphenation. But you can re-apply it.

I hope this helps,

Louis