[scribus] Dumb justification question.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Sep 16 14:22:37 CEST 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008 10:20:51 pm Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2008/9/15 John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>

> > > John,
> > >
> > > You mean the text won't hyphenate at all?
> > >
> > > There is nothing specific to be done at OO.o level, afaik.
> > >
> > > You can check the hyphenation settings in the Scribus
> > > Preferences > Hyphenator as the rules that are there might be
> > > too tight for what you need to achieve. You have 3 fields IIRC.
> > > Word length, Number of consecutive hyphens, and Language.
> > >
> > > Then, your text frame must be activated in order to be able to
> > > hyphenate. You may need to deselect and reselect the text
> > > frame. By all means it should work!
> > >
> > > Please let me know!
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Louis
> >
> > Justification and hyphenation are two different (but related)
> > animals. If I have no style at all then both hyphenation and
> > justification can occur. But then I lose the paragraph indents.
> > If I apply  a style then justification disappears.
> >
> > So perhaps my question is, how do I define a style to contain
> > both justification and a paragraph indent?
>
> There is a bug. When you edit the text, hyphenation goes away. You
> have to re-hyphenate. There might be another one (yet, related).
> Once you apply a style, dpes hyphenation go away as well? The
> workaround should then be to re-hyphenate. If this is correct, then
> this is a bug and it should be filed as such.
>
> Sorry I cannot test at present time. I can only go as IIRC. There
> is a way to have a styled text hyphenated. You cannot put
> hyphenation as part of the stylesheet instructions yet. But you can
> apply the stylesheet, then hyphenate. The annoying part of this is
> when you edit the text further down, you lose hyphenation. But you
> can re-apply it.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Louis

The issue is justification, not hyphenation. My current test file is
hyphenated, and has paragraph indentation applied by a style. But I
cannot apply full justification with even margins.

I will try importing plain text instead, and see if that helps.
Thanks, and stay tuned for further bulletins.

--
John Culleton