[scribus] weybrew at gmail.com: Ghostscript install

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Mon Sep 15 08:40:56 CEST 2008

Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:
> Thomas Weybrew sent a message using the contact form at
> http://www.scribus.net/?q=contact.
>
> I want to try your program but I continue to have problems following your
> instructions on installing Ghostscript (WIN XP). I downloaded the specified
> file, gs860w32exe, but when installing I did not get the two .exe files you
> said I would see so I couldn't select the gswin32c.exe. When I started
> Scribus I did not get any error messages, however. Is my install correct? If
> not, please guide me... I'm not a skilled user. Thanks.
Thomas:

Get the file "gs861w32.exe" (latest version) from one of the links at
<http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/GPL/gpl861.htm
<http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/%7Eghost/doc/GPL/gpl861.htm>>.

Double-click gs861w32.exe and then click the "Setup" button in the
WinZip self-extractor.  A progress bar will show files being unpacked to
a temporary location.

The GPL Ghostscript Setup dialogue that appears is pretty easy to follow:

I would

@    Change "C:\Program Files\gs" to "C:\Program Files\Ghostscript\gs".
@    Mark "All Users".
@    Change "Ghostscript" to "Ghostscript\Player".
@    Leave "Install Ghostscript Fonts" marked as is.

Click "Install" and all your troubles are over!

Now go to <http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/get49.htm
<http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/%7Eghost/gsview/get49.htm>> and download the
"gsv49w32.exe" file.  This is a PostScript and PDF viewer that renders
and displays PostScript on-screen and lets you view its contents, print
particular pages, etc.

This file installs in a similar manner but make its installation
directory  "C:\Program Files\Ghostscript\Ghostgum".  Change the Start
Menu location from  "Ghostgum" to "Ghostscript\Ghostgum".**

Now you have all your Ghostscript assets together!

Regards,
Hedley

** The developer of the Ghostgum viewer is a fellow Australian who is
making a very weak pun involving the ghostgum trees found along
watercourses and elsewhere.

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger at handholding.com.au>