[scribus] Using Scribus for a newsletter

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Sep 15 17:40:40 CEST 2008

Hi Joe,

> I have my four templates. I call one up, using "new from a template"
> under the file menu.

This step isn't necessary, as templates are used for complete documents, not single pages. Just use "Edit > Master Pages" "Page > Convert to Master Page" to create a master page.

> Then I go to the Page menu, and click on "convert to master page," give it
> a name, and click okay. Then I click on the edit menu and go to Master
> Pages, and, sure enough, there it is, right in there with Normal. So I get
> the next template, click on convert to master page, give it a name and
> click okay. When I go to edit/master pages, I find the new master page in
> place, but the previous one is gone.

It's not gone. As said above, when you create a template, this will be used as a template for a whole document, so each time you use "File > New from Template" you create a new document. This new document doesn't know anything about the master page(s) you created in another document.

>     Why is this happening?  Is "convert to master page" not a legitimate
> way to make a master page?

It is, but obviously you have been confused by the word "template".

template = document

master page = page (background)

Since this isn't the first time someone confused templates and master pages, I suggest we add an article to the wiki.

HTH

Christoph
Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx