[scribus] Imposiion (Was: The Scribus target)

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Sep 2 09:48:11 CEST 2008

Taking the open source nature and modularity of the free software world
into account, plus the pdf-centred workflow in Scribus (which reflects
what the industry is in at the moment imho), even though I needed it
some weeks ago - I think imposition is not a tool that has to be integrated.

In these pdf-days, you do not create a book any more in DTP - you create
a document. This can be viewed on screen, be printed in offset or on a
a4 laser printer - you do not know it when you create the pdf - and that
is the nature of a device independant document format.

We need a tool doing imposition, but this is its own step in the
workflow, and it is run when printing the document - without changing
it, as it depends on the device. So it is its own element in the chain.
Some folks have it already in their printer driver, some use unix
postscript tools. The big advantage is that the job of the one doing the
print-out, knowing the devices, doesn't collide with the job of the
document creator. And it does not matter if I create my pdf in Scribus,
Openoffice, Inkscape, Tex...

So maybe work has to be done on creating a really nice imposition tool,
with previews, templates, a very graphical GUI showing the user what is
going to happen. But I do not think that this should be part of Scribus,
Openoffice or any other creator tool. Actually there are already tools,
but the "perfect one" yet has to be developed ;-)

CU Lars.