[scribus] Scribus NOT calls Gimp

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Nov 24 21:04:38 CET 2008

On Monday 24 November 2008 09:00:40 am avox wrote:
> John Culleton-3 wrote:
> > For some functions Scribus calls Gimp, but Gimp only works in the
> > RGB color model, although it will display a graphic limited to
> > the CMYK color model.  If I have a graphic in CMYK, and call a
> > Scribus function which uses Gimp, will the graphic still be in
> > CMYK when exported as a pdf from Scribus?
> > --
> > John Culleton
> > Resources for every author and publisher:
> > http://wexfordpress.com/tex/shortlist.pdf
> > http://wexfordpress.com/tex/packagers.pdf
> > http://www.creativemindspress.com/newbiefaq.htm
> > http://www.gropenassoc.com/TopLevelPages/reference%20desk.htm

> Unless I've missed a very recent development, Scribus does not call
> Gimp. The only time Scribus opens Gimp for an image is if the user
> selects "edit with
> external program" from the image's context menu. AFAIK you can
> choose to open
> Photoshop or whatever instead by configuring the path in Scribus's
> options.
>
> All other image manipulation is done by Scribus code, LittleCMS and
> lately lib2geom.
>
> /Andreas

I am using 1.3.5 of very recent vintage.  I right clicked on the map
image taken from one of the templates and clicked on "edit image."
Immediately I was taken to Gimp. Maybe it is just a menu issue. What
I see as edit image is what you see as "edit from an external
program."

(Gimp had problems with the jpg image but that is not a Scribus
problem.  I am still trying to get Gimp to upgrade properly on my
Slackware system. There is something bollixed up in gegl and so on.
But that is not the issue here. )

--
John Culleton