[scribus] Confused on how to insert/delete pages

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Fri Nov 21 12:34:13 CET 2008

>> It becomes even more problematic since Scribus only has one reference
>> point for a frame (it can be set to 9 different settings though).

> Could a tenth be the top leff corner of the guides ?

The 9 settings is the 4 corners of a frame, mid point of each side and the
center. That is the reference point for the X and Y position numbers.

So, if you have a frame 100x100 mm and set the position to 50 mm from the
top and the side, and the reference point is the top left corner it will
end up with the top left corner 50 mm from the sides. But if the reference
point is the lower right corner, setting the position to 50 mm from the
sides you will only get 1/4 of the frame on the page (because the lower
right corner will be 50 mm from the sides).

> In the basic case where people set the guides and work within them, I
> would have though it would be useful to many people, and relatively
> quick to implement ?

What is the basic case? When I set up guides I usually have about a dozen
guides. If I print on en regulat printer I usually set a couple of guides
for how near the edges the printer can print, I set one vertical guide in
the middle of the page, often 3-4 horizontal guides (maybe one center and
then 2 to split the page in thirds).

I'd say using a lot of guides is one of the keys for consistent design.

So, how would Scribus know what guides to use for this conditional
placement and not?

/Peter