[scribus] 1.3.3.12 no odt support???

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jun 26 20:31:47 CEST 2008

On Thursday 26 June 2008 12:40:41 pm Tornóci László wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> > Apparently there is some magic in specifying the path for cmake.
> > I tried the current directory (dot) and at the end of the process
> > Scribus failed spectacularly.   I am willing to learn, but I need
> > some more guidance. What addy can/should go on the end of the
> > cmake command?   That is the only variable that I can see. And I
> > don't much care whereinhell it goes, so long as it runs
> > afterwards.  If there is a location that works please share it.
> >
> > I run slackware 12, which is about as plain vanilla as you can
> > get.
>
> You may use any install prefix you like, it won't change anything.
> I guess you have some missing dependencies, which may not be easy
> to get under Slackware. That's exactly the reason why I switched
> from Slackware to RedHat more than 10 years ago. I think Slack got
> some sort of package management in the meantime, but I would
> suggest you change to a well supported distro with package
> management like Fedora, Debian or Ubuntu. I know it is a big hassle
> to change to a new distro, but believe me, it is worth on the long
> run. I had no trouble on a Fedora Core 7 system to follow what is
> described here:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Building_SVN_versions_with_CMake
>
> I used Slackware _a lot_, and was very happy with it, but I never
> regretted the switch to RH. It is a lot easier for me to test new
> programs with RH.
>
> 					Yours: Laszlo

> D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
>              http://www.doteasy.com

That doen't explain why 1.3.3.11 is easy but 1.3.3.12 is so hard, all
on the same machine.

But I  have discovered the problem, and it is an omission with some
answers I have received today.  I am trying to do the simple thing
and compile in the download directory. A model cmake line in the wiki
says:
/path/to/cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/path/to/install/to/scribuscmake/
but today at least two listmates have suggested:
/path/to/cmake  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/path/to/install/to/scribuscmake/
Can you spot the difference? It is a missing period.

I am testing it now with an explicit path.  From the
directory /usr/local/scribus-1.3.3.12 I am running:
cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus-1.3.3.12
if that works I will try the simpler
cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=.
Well it seems to work now.  No errors on startup! Two things to note:
1 Don't forget the first period in cmake!
2. If you have an existing  scribus in /usr/local/bin you have to
rename it (or  overlay it)  and copy the latest scribus from ~your
work directory/bin to /usr/local/bin. In my case it is in
/usr/local/scribus-1.3.3.12/bin

These points would be useful to put in the INSTALL file.  I'm still
going to try to automate the process with a script. Stay tuned!

--
John Culleton