[scribus] Can Scribus use small caps from open-type fonts?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Jun 18 21:01:34 CEST 2008

Gerry Snyder wrote:
> I am just starting to learn Scribus, and am very impressed so far. I
> like the program itself, and now that I have started reading the wiki,
> think it is pretty well documented.
>
> The two "funny character" things I am interested in are ligatures and
> small capital letters. I see where to insert ligatures, and like the
> fact that it is clear which are available in a given font and which are not.
>

> Small caps that are in the font, on the other hand, seem to be ignored.
> Unless, of course, I am missing something.
>
> Is there a way, other than writing a script to do the translation, to
> use what is in the open-type font? If not, does anyone know of plans to
> add that capability? The small-cap glyphs are in a private-use area, but
> presumably they are located in a consistent manner, at least from a
> given source.

Someone may correct me, but I think smallcaps works two different ways.
There is a "global" availability of smallcaps with any font, created by
Scribus. A few fonts may also have their own built-in smallcaps, which
is handled just like italics, bold, condensed, etc., in other words, its
own separate listing in the font list.

So, for example, in Properties palette > Text, you have the top button
for the font category, then underneath a subcategory button, which is
where the choice for the built-in smallcaps should be, if it's not a
completely different font item in the list.
The Scribus-manufactured smallcaps comes from the row of small buttons
farther down the palette.

Greg