[scribus] American typewriter font and Scribus

avox avox at arcor.de
Tue Jun 17 23:10:07 CEST 2008

Peter Nermander wrote:

>> So, if I embed a font in a PDF document made in Scribus, I'd
>> have to check the licensing status of the font before
>> sending the document to another person.
>
> Yes.
>
>> Is there any project to do such checking - and would such a
>> mechanism be integrated in Scribus in any future ?
>
> At least Truetype fonts can have a flag "Do not embed". I'm not sure if
> Scribus honors it though.

No, and in my view it doesnt make sense. Scribus produces PS and PDF
intended for print. If you have a legal copy of a font which has that flag
set, you still need some program to produce the printfile - that's what
Scribus
does.

In the end it's always the user who has to decide if he's allowed to use the
font in the way he intends to. Programs can only give hints.
Maybe Fontmatrix can be extended to track the license status of fonts.

/Andreas